Senior Associate – 1LC Controls
- Standard / Permanent
- FINANCE ACCOUNTS AND MANAGEMENT CONTROL
Senior Associate – SMS 1LC
About BNP Paribas Group:
BNP Paribas is a top-ranking bank in Europe with an international profile. It operates in 71 countries and has almost 199 000 employees. The Group ranks highly in its three core areas of activity: Domestic Markets and International Financial Services (whose retail banking networks and financial services are grouped together under Retail Banking & Services) and Corporate & Institutional Banking, centred on corporate and institutional clients. The Group helps all of its clients (retail, associations, businesses, SMEs, large corporates and institutional) to implement their projects by providing them with services in financing, investment, savings and protection. In its Corporate & Institutional Banking and International Financial Services activities, BNP Paribas enjoys leading positions in Europe, a strong presence in the Americas and has a solid and fast-growing network in the Asia/Pacific region.
About BNP Paribas India Solutions:
Established in 2005, BNP Paribas India Solutions is a wholly owned subsidiary of BNP Paribas SA, a leading bank in Europe with an international reach. With delivery centers located in Bengaluru, Chennai and Mumbai, we are a 24×7 global delivery center. India Solutions services three business lines: Corporate and Institutional Banking, Investment Solutions and Retail Banking for BNP Paribas across the Group. Driving innovation and growth, we are harnessing the potential of over 6000 employees, to provide support and develop best-in-class solutions.
About Businessline/Function :
The Nearshore department is a Cross Border team located in Mumbai and fully dedicated to the APAC region. The operational scope covers Financial & Management Accounting & Reporting, Accounting Controls, Credit Risk Reporting and contribution to the Liquidity Reporting. The Nearshore department is going through different projects of on-boarding new services and implementing a new accounting and reporting system (OFS) for BNPP Group legal entities in North, South East Asia and Australia.
The SMS Accounting Control level 1 (SMS 1LC) team performs a key role in maintaining the quality of the accounting control environment that underpins the Finance reporting processes: Group Head Office reporting, Statutory reporting, Regulatory reporting and internal Performance Management reporting for the Regional platform.
The objective of the SMS 1LC control team is to provide independent assurance that Level 1 controls (i.e. controls that are performed to ensure the accounting data is complete and accurate) are properly executed and that Group, CIB and local accounting control policies (inc the minimum control standards defined in the Standard Accounting Control Plan) are implemented appropriately. This Level 2 control framework includes periodic detailed testing of the documented controls that underpin the Regional accounting ledger balances and specific testing/review of balances and processes in accordance with the BNP Paribas control policies.
The role will require regular interaction with other Non-Finance teams in Region and Mumbai and provides the role holder with a broad view of the activities and processes in the Non Finance functions on which non Finance is dependent.
Senior Associate – SMS1LC
APAC Regional Subject Matter Stream
Business Line / Function:
Number of Direct Reports:
Directorship / Registration:
The candidate is expected:
· To contribute to the performance of SMS 1LC controls pertaining to Non finance functions of BNP Paribas entities in Asia Pacific region and drive the account owner sign-off and first level accounting control certification process.
· Act as a key point of contact to the Operations, Local Finance, Level 2 Controls and the Regional teams.
· Perform and document the accounting controls and analysis.
· to independently manage key activities like daily, monthly and quarterly financial accounting and control tasks.
· Prepare various MIS reports and reconciliations as per the requirements of stakeholders and Co-ordinate with internal and regional colleagues for day-to-day activities.
· Drive automation of accounting and control processes using advanced Excel including through BRD and UAT testing and the standardisation of booking schemes among entities.
· Contribute to the performance of 1LC accounting controls on a list of key areas defined by the BNP Paribas Standard Accounting Control Group Plan, including Back office to General Ledger reconciliations, Sensitive accounts checking, manual entries, dormant accounts, PV checking, Irregular and abnormal accounts checking, fee income checking etc.
· Identify system / control deficiencies and propose solution to improve the accounting control environment
· Monitor account and 1st level control sign-off and escalate problems identified.
· Contribute to the preparation of accounting control outcome on a monthly basis and reported it to 2nd level team for them to include their control package by Account and Control Owners.
· Monitor Accounting Control outcomes through key performance and key risk indicators
· Prepare ad hoc control memo upon request when an issue is identified.
· Ensure the good coordination with the Regional Financial Reporting team, in particular whenever an accounting issue needs to be addressed
· Contribute to BNP Paribas operational permanent control framework.
· Report incidents and accounting issues.
· Manage the day-to-day accounting and finance task including activities like Nostro clearance, loading of excel loaders, topazes etc
· Perform daily controls on Suspense, Transit and liaison accounts
· Resolving breaks in Suspense and Transit accounts by passing necessary corrections wherever required.
· Following up with Operations team for clearance of breaks in suspense accounts pertaining to other SDBRs
· Ensuring timely escalations to team leads, other stakeholders as per the escalation matrix.
· Managing the month end pre closing and post closing task within the defined timelines as per the planner
· Preparing of accurate and error free workings related to Pre closing and post closing tasks.
· Preparation of periodic / ad-hoc MIS, reconciliations as may be required by local and regional finance teams with accuracy
· Handle requests from local finance, L2 Controls and other stakeholders as per TAT and with zero error rate
· Preparation and updation of SOPs on a timely basis.
· Drive automation of current processes using advanced excels and / or through BRS and UAT testing.
· Periodic Revenue – expense reconciliation including SAP reconciliations
· Support other team members for various activities like reconciliation, processing of loaders, preparation of workings etc
Technical & Behavioral Competencies
· Solid understanding of financial instruments and developed skills in analysis of business supporting processes from accounting control perspective
· Expert knowledge of Accounting and Financial Management, IFRS knowledge would be an added advantage
· Expert knowledge of Windows suites including MS Excel, Word and Power Point. Writing macros in MS Excel / Visual Basic coding would be added advantage.
· Meticulous, eye for detail and should be able to work under pressure
· Good communication and interpersonal skills
· Former audit experience or experiences on the accounting controls within a Finance function in Banking and Financial Services (mandatory)
Specific Qualifications (if required)
· CA with 2-3 years of experience in Accounting audit and/or accounting control
· Professional membership in CPA/ACCA/CFA are desired
· Some training in internal/external audit processes
· Ability to collaborate / Teamwork
· Ability to deliver / Results driven
· Communication skills – oral & written
· Client focused
· Ability to develop and adapt a process
· Ability to set up relevant performance indicators
· Analytical Ability
· Ability to understand, explain and support change
· Ability to inspire others & generate people’s commitment